So maybe I don’t know a lot of the details behind the latest hubbub about the Payroll Tax Cut that Congress and the President are cat fighting over, but I do know that $40 a paycheck is significant-ish to my family.
“If Congress fails to extend the payroll tax cut, the typical family making $50,000 a year will have about $40 less to spend or save with each paycheck.” ~ Random White House Spokesperson
Not to give away our income, but I will admit it’s more than $50,000/year. For the sake of privacy and I don’t feel like doing math, we’ll go with $40 from Patrick’s paycheck we’d lose if this mess isn’t straightened out. Really, I just like seeing Obama putting the smackdown on
Boner Boehner and the other Republicans, but I’ve been too engrossed in pretend shopping for Christmas to pay more attention to the political news of the week.
I can find a crapton of shite to buy with $40, and since I’m already pretend Christmas shopping, I thought I’d make you a list of what $40 will get you.
- 8.7 Grande Caramel Lattes from Starbucks
- 3/4th of a tank of gas in my Town & Country Turbo
- 22 loaves of store brand sandwich bread
- 155 Durex condoms
- 1 33.8oz canister of Enfamil Gentlease sensitive baby formula
- 2 $20 Dinner for Twos at Chili’s with water to drink and no tip, jerk
- 1 pair of Alice Crocs
- 3 Wiz Khalifa albums with some left over for a few Lil Wayne songs
- 1 pair of DC Kids Rebound high tops
- 1 pack of 68-count Pampers diapers
- 1/8th of a Michael Kors Hamilton Tote Bag
- 1 day of daycare
- 5 months of streaming Netflix service
- 1 life-sized Beagle Dog Giant Stuffed Animal from Melissa & Doug (without shipping)
- 1 pair of (crappy) .10 TDW diamond cluster earrings
- 1 General Practitioner co-pay with fairly good private health insurance
- 3 weeks of high-speed internet service
- 1 Star Wars Yoda Tree Topper
I don’t know about you, but losing that $40 a paycheck will keep me from enjoying my Christmas tree with Yoda atop it, watching over our every move.
That’s something I can’t live without.
P.S. Some of the links above are affiliate links because if Patrick’s take-home pay is going down, I need to make it up somehow, bitches.